The 2013 NFL Draft doesn’t offer the stud offensive weapons that we’ve seen in year’s past. However, this draft does offer a heavy quantity of defensive and offensive line talent. In my First Round Mock, I have 9 of 11 picks coming from the trenches.
1. KC - OT Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M) - Joeckel is a talented and athletic left tackle that blocked for a couple of stud college QBs .
2. JAC - OT Eric Fisher (Central Michigan) - If the Jags don’t get a trade offer to move down they might be inclined to take Fisher who is a top flight LT.
3. OAK - DT Sharriff Floyd (Florida) - A top flight DE will be of interest, but they could also use to get a new Sharriff in town at DT.
4. PHI - DE Dion Jordan (Oregon) - If no solid offers come they will have a tough decision between OT Lane Johnson and stud top pass rushers Dion Jordan and Ansah.
5. DET - DE Ezekiel Ansah (BYU) - Don’t sleep on talented OG Warmack, OT Lane Johnson here or a trade down. DE Ansah could also be a nice answer to replace Avril.
6. CLE - CB Dee Milliner (Alabama) - The Browns might be somewhat forced to go with the best player on their board between Warmack, Milliner, or Johnson.
7. ARI - OT Lane Johnson (Oklahoma) - The Cards will absolutely need to get help at OL in this draft and Johnson’s athleticism will help fit the bill.
8. BUF - OG Chance Warmack (Alabama) - Warmack is a road grader OG that the Bills could use to replace the departed Andy Levitre.
9. NYJ - LB Barkevious Mingo (LSU) - The Jets could use a talented pass-rusher like Mingo. He will help the D and get Jets fans chanting M-I-N-G-O!
10. TEN - DT Star Lotulelei (Utah) - Star is a star in the making and is just too good to slide too far in spite of his health concerns.
11. SD - OG Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina) - The Chargers will be interested in moving up for a top OT, but if they stand they might be hanging with Mr. Cooper.
12. MIA - CB Xavier Rhodes (Florida State) - The Dolphins need an OT, RB, and CB. This is earlier than most will project for Rhodes, but his size will be coveted.
13. NYJ - QB Geno Smith (West Virginia) - The Jets trade of Revis might enable them to grab a QB and look for WR help in the next round.
14. CAR - DT Sheldon Richardson (Missouri) - The Panthers need to stabilize their front four and a solid motor DT like Richardson would be a great add for them.
15. NO - S Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) - Ryan needs a pass rusher on the edge or beef up front, but Vaccaro would be a great add for the Saints secondary.
16. STL - WR Tavon Austin (West Virginia) - The Rams would love Vaccaro, but Jeff Fisher will likely be ecstatic to grab a top play-making slot WR to replace Amendola.
17. PIT - LB Jarvis Jones (Georgia) - Jones’ stock is falling, but the Steelers and Dick LeBeau would love Jones’ ability to get after the passer.
18. DAL - DT Sylvester Williams (North Carolina) - Williams would help solidify a Cowboys D-line that could use a versatile DT like Williams.
19. NYG - OT D.J. Fluker (Alabama) - The Giants could also look for help at DE or DB here, but Fluker should help the team’s running game.
20. CHI - LB Manti Te’o (Notre Dame) - Despite the girlfriend hoax, many teams would be more than happy to grab Te’o who is a solid coverage MLB.
21. CIN - LB Alec Ogletree (Georgia) - Ogletree has off-field issues, but that has never seemed to scare the Bengals. Lacy or a DB would be nice as well.
22. STL - RB Eddie Lacy (Alabama) - The Rams and Jeff Fisher would love to have that bell cow RB to hitch their wagon to and Lacy should be that guy.
23. MIN - WR Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee) - Patterson’s shiftiness and play-making could help replace Percy Harvin.
24. IND - CB Desmond Trufant (Washington) - Trufant has plenty of experience after starting 4 years in the PAC-12. He’d be a nice fit in Indy.
25. MIN - CB D.J. Hayden (Houston) - Hayden’s recovery has been nothing short of remarkable and his speed would be welcome in the NFC North.
26. GB - OL Kyle Long (Oregon) - The Packers would love Lacy to fall this far, but if not they’ll look at best player available at a position of need. Datone Jones might draw a look here as well.
27. HOU - WR Keenan Allen (California) - The Texans have never been able to find an answer opposite stud WR Andre Johnson. Allen might be the answer.
28. DEN - DE Bjoern Werner (Florida State) - Werner was a tremendously productive DE in college and would be a welcome addition to replace Elvis.
29. NE - WR Justin Hunter (Tennessee) - Hunter’s size and speed reminds many of Randy Moss and the Pats need some WR help in a big way.
30. ATL - TE Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame) - DE and CB are the bigger need, but Eifert might be a value pick here - Gonzo is not going to be around forever.
31. SF - DE Datone Jones (UCLA) - Jones can get after the passer and he’s just too good of a talent to pass up.
32. BAL - LB Kevin Minter (LSU) - MLBs Kevin Minter (LSU) and Arthur Brown (K-State) will both draw a long look here as will CB, WR, and S.
33. JAC - QB Matt Barkley (USC) - The Jags have made it no secret that they’re looking for a QB.
34. SF - S John Cyprien (Florida International) - Cyprien is a talented safety that could help sure up the San Fran secondary that struggled in the Super Bowl.
35. PHI - QB E.J. Manuel (Florida State) - Manuel’s abilities could be a nice fit in Chip Kelly’s offense.
36. DET - OL Justin Pugh (Syracuse) - A versatile offensive lineman to help the Lions needs up front.
37. CIN - DT Jonathan Jenkins (Georgia) - A big, beefeater DT would help against the run.
38. ARI - TE Zach Ertz (Stanford) - A receiving weapon at TE would be nice in Arizona if Ertz is around this late.
39. NYJ - WR DeAndre Hopkins (Clemson) - The Jets are desperately seeking WR help and Hopkins can play.
40. TEN - OT Menelik Watson (Florida State) - Watson could help get the Titans running game going.
41. BUF - WR Robert Woods (USC) - A talented WR to fill the need opposite Stevie Johnson.
42. MIA - DE Damontre Moore (Texas A&M) - Moore was an ultra-productive sack master DE in college last year.
43. TB - DE Tank Carradine (Florida State) - A talented DE to add to their DL rotation.
44. CAR - CB Jamar Taylor (Boise State) - A cover corner to help in the secondary against good passing attacks.
45. SD - DE Margus Hunt (SMU) - Hunt would fit in well as a DE in the Chargers 3-4 scheme.
46. STL - S Matt Elam (Florida) - Adding a safety should be an early priority for the Rams.
47. DAL - S Eric Reid (LSU) - A much needed safety for a shaky deep secondary.
48. PIT - WR Terrance Williams (Baylor) - Williams is a talented WR, but a RB might also be in the mix here.
49. NYG - CB Blidi Breh-Wilson (Connecticut) - Help for a much maligned secondary.
50. CHI - DT Kawann Short (Purdue) - A DT to pair with Pro-Bowler Melton.
51. WAS - CB Johnathan Banks (Mississippi State) - A solid cover corner to boost the shaky secondary.
52. MIN - LB Arthur Brown (Kansas State) - A stud MLB could help their defense.
53. CIN - RB Giovani Bernard (North Carolina) - A talented RB to pair with the lawfirm.
54. MIA - OG Larry Warford (Kentucky) - The Dolphins can run behind this powerful OG.
55. GB - RB Montee Ball (Wisconsin) - A local RB to help boost the running game.
56. SEA - DT Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State) - A DT would help the DL rotation.
57. HOU - DE Alex Okafor (Texas) - Could be converted to rush LB in the Texans 3-4.
58. DEN - RB Le’Veon Bell (Michigan State) - A big, beefy RB that blocks and catches well.
59. NE - CB Darius Slay (Mississippi State) - The Falcons could use some help at corner.
60. ATL - OT Terron Armstead (Arkansas Pine-Bluff) - An unheralded OT with upside to help at OT.
61. SF - CB Robert Alford (SE Louisiana) The 49ers could use to add a corner even after adding Asomugha.
62. BAL - S D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina) - A coveted safety prospect that can help the Ravens secondary which lost two starters, but only added 1 safety.
63. KC - DT Jesse Williams (Alabama) - The versatile Williams could help the defensive line.
64. JAC - CB David Amerson (NC State) - The Jags need help in their secondary.
65. DET - LB Sio Moore (Connecticut) - The Lions could look at a CB or LB in round 3.
66. OAK - CB Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) - This secondary is thin on talent so the Raiders need help.
67. PHI - LB Khaseem Greene (Rutgers) - The Eagles might look for a corner, but they also need depth at LB.
68. CLE - WR Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech) - A WR to help a suspect passing attack.
69. ARI - OC Brian Schwenke (California) - The Cardinals could look for help on their interior OL as well.
70. TEN - CB Dwayne Gratz (Connecticut) - The Titans could use some help at corner.
71. BUF - QB Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) - Nassib could go in the first round, but won’t make it past the third round - in this scenario the Bills snag a QB that is already familiar with their coach.
72. NYJ - DE William Gholston (Michigan State) - A big, physical DE that has some pass rush skills too.
73. TB - TE Gavin Escobar (San Diego State) - A TE will be a target for them to help the offense.
74. SF - OC Barrett Jones (Alabama) - A versatile OL that won a National Championship at 3 different positions.
75. NO - LB Cornelius Washington (Georgia) - A pass rushing LB would fit in nicely with the move to a 3-4.
76. SD - OT David Bakhtairi (Colorado) - The Chargers desperately need OT help.
77. MIA - RB Christine Michael (Texas A&M) - An underrated RB to add to the mix with Thomas and Miller.
78. STL - LB Jamie Collins (Southern Miss) - The Rams could use some help at OLB.
79. PIT - RB Andre Ellington (Clemson) - A speedier RB to pair with Dwyer and Redman.
80. DAL - OC Travis Frederick (Wisconsin) - Frederick is arguably the best center in the draft at a position of need.
81. NYG - TE Travis Kelce (Cincinnati) - Will be a developmental TE to add depth behind Myers.
82. MIA - S Shamarko Thomas (Syracuse) - A solid safety prospect to help the Dolphins deep secondary.
83. MIN - OG Brian Winters (Kent State) - Winters could help along the OL and possibly compete for a starting job.
84. CIN - OL Dallas Thomas (Tennessee) - Depth in case they aren’t able to keep Andre Smith.
85. WAS - LB Jonathan Bostic (Florida) - The possible heir apparent to Fletcher.
86. IND - LB Corey Lemonier (Auburn) - The Colts need some help with their rush linebackers.
87. SEA - LB Kevin Reddick (North Carolina) - The Seahawks could use some depth and competition at LB.
88. GB - CB B.W. Webb (William & Mary) - A talented, play-making corner to replace Woodson.
89. HOU - S J.J. Wilcox (Georgia Southern) - Ed Reed replaced Glover, but he isn’t going to last too long at safety.
90. DEN - CB Logan Ryan (Rutgers) - Champ Bailey is getting long in the tooth and CB is a need.
91. NE - DE John Simon (Ohio State) - NE needs depth and pass rushing help and Simon could fit their system.
92. ATL - DE Sam Montgomery (LSU) - A solid DE with Montgomery’s resume could be a nice find here.
93. SF - QB Matt Scott (Arizona) - A bit early for Scott, but his skillset should fit in behind Kaepernick.
94. BAL - WR Aaron Dobson (Marshall) - The Ravens could use to replace Boldin with a Dobson who is a 6-3 WR.
95. HOU - OT David Quesenberry (San Jose State) - Quesenberry would provide depth for the OL.
96. KC - CB Tyrann Mathieu (LSU) - Troubled corner could be Reid’s next reclamation project.
97. TEN - LB Michael Buchanan (Illinois) - Depth at LB and a guy that can rush the passer to boot.